Thursday, April 18, 2013

Entry #5 - Born to Rock by Buck Dharma




There is nothing I can say about this video that will come close to doing it justice, so I’ll just post the video here and let you just absorb it without my commentary about how insane it is. It’s the kind of insanity that can only come out of an eighties music video. I’m not sure if I’d call it a good video or not. It’s certainly memorable and charming, but that doesn’t necessarily equal good.

The artist here is Buck Dharma, the lead guitarist and occasional vocalist for the Blue Oyster Cult. The guy’s an incredible guitarist, and a versatile one as well. The Blue Oyster Cult was never a band that could be pigeon holed. They were a hard rock group, but they branched out into several different genres and were always interesting to listen to because they were never straight forward with their music – and their lyrics were pretty awesome as well. They had songs about Godzilla decimating Tokyo, Joan Crawford rising from the grave, and one song, The Red & The Black, was about Royal Canadian Mounted Police (I think) and had lyrics that were literally gibberish at one point. I absolutely love Blue Oyster Cult.

This song has elements of that charm in it. It’s not good by any means, but it’s funny, and it isn’t taking itself seriously. There’s some very good guitar work here too, which is predictable considering that it’s Buck Dharma playing.

The song also has one genuinely great lyric in it – “The consumation of a lifelong dream, a Thunderbird and a beauty queen.” That just puts a smile on my face whenever I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment